Thanks to everyone who helped us test our 2.8 beta release, and we’re excited to be releasing the final version for all customers today! This update includes two exciting new features as well as a variety of other improvements and bug fixes.
Let’s take a look at what’s new:
One-time discount codes
Discount codes are a great way to incentivize customers into registering accounts, especially for special promotions and holiday sales. Since version 1.0, however, Restrict Content Pro has always applied discount codes to all payments within a subscription, not just the first payment. For example, if a customer applied a 30% discount to a $10 subscription, the customer’s initial signup payment would be discounted to $7 and all renewal payments after the first payment would also be $7. This is not ideal for many, if not most, membership websites, so in version 2.8 we have introduced the option to make discount codes apply only to the first payment in a subscription.
One-time discount codes can be enabled from the Restrict → Settings → Misc screen:
When enabled, all discount codes will apply to the first payment only. Using the same example as before, if a customer applies a 30% discount to a $10 subscription, the initial payment would be discounted to $7 but all subsequent payments would be for the original $10 amount.
Braintree Payments integration
We have offered a basic integration for Braintree Payments for quite a while through a free add-on, however, it’s always had major weaknesses. With 2.8 we’re pleased to say that we’ve brought the Braintree Payments integration directly into the core plugin and made it full featured. Unlike with the add-on Braintree plugin we’ve offered previously, this integration supports all of the standard Restrict Content Pro features, including recurring discounts and free trials.
If you’ve used the Braintree add-on previously, it should automatically be deactivated when upgrading to 2.8 and your API key settings should be seamlessly copied over.
If it’s your first time working with Braintree Payments, you can read our documentation article to help you get started.
Along with the two major enhancements mentioned above, we have also made a number of other small improvements:
- Use count on discount codes now get properly adjusted when account registration fails.
- An option has been added to remove all data from the database when uninstalling Restrict Content Pro (Restrict → Settings → Misc screen).
- Payment profiles for member accounts can now be cancelled directly from the member Edit screen. A checkbox will appear when changing the member’s status to “Cancelled”.
- A filter has been added to allow custom metadata to be attached to Stripe subscriptions.
- All plugin CSS has been refactored to be more clear and consistent.
- Admin email notifications now support email template tags.
- An option has been added to allow site admins to select whether Auto Renew is checked by default for new subscribers. (Read more about our auto renewal settings in this article.)
- The help tabs have been updated to account for plugin changes and new features.
This release also fixes a number of bugs:
- If registration with a free trial fails, it is not possible for members to try again
- Manual renewals improperly prorate payment amounts
- Payment profile IDs do not have whitespace removed
- Responsive list tables do not work with all themes
- Help tabs were not able to be translated
- Auto Renew checkbox not checked by default
- Incorrect behavior with some restriction functions due to empty metadata being saved
Version 2.8 is available to all customers with a valid license key. The update can be installed from your Plugins page inside your WordPress admin area, or it can be downloaded from your Restrict Content Pro account page. If you don’t yet have a license key, head over to our Pricing page to get started!